Why is Unified Threat Management System Important For Your Organization?
What is UTM and how does it work?
Protecting their IT network has always posed to be a challenge for small and large companies alike. With the hackers keeping a close watch to find one loose end to break into the company’s network is becoming a major reason for concern among the businesses. The looming threat of the competitors trying to steal their clients is increasing day by day. To keep the hackers at bay, a comprehensive threat management solution to protect the businesses is required. And the Unified Threat Management (UTM) system proposes to be the perfect solution for an overall IT network protection.
What are Unified Threat Management systems?
In a nutshell, the UTM could be a hardware device, virtual device or a cloud application to provide a foolproof network protection against security threats. What makes it impenetrable is the fact that all the trusted and proven security services are integrated into one, which makes it invincible.
Ideally, the UTMs were developed to make up for the drawbacks of the traditional firewalls. Though the next generation firewalls (NGFW) are more in line with the UTMs, the latter exceed in terms of providing the security features offered by the NGFW.
Security Features of UTM:
The Unified Threat Management systems, in general, is a combination of the following security applications to provide exhaustive network protection:
• Anti-spam services: The anti-spam software basically does a good job at preventing the security threats entering into the organization through Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) email traffic. The anti-spam filters essentially create a whitelist and blacklist of the email addresses after comparing them with the third-party server’s block list.
• UTM Devices: These devices are used to control the usage of the applications by developing a filter as to which applications to be used or restricted. This step is important as many threats creep into the organization through the apps which can compromise the security.
• Firewalls: These are the time-tested and traditional way to control the network traffic from entering and leaving the organization. The firewalls basically exercise a control on the connection between the host inside and outside the organization. This step helps in eliminating the unwarranted exposure to the external networks.
• Intrusion detection: This technology helps the organizations by identifying and detecting the threats when a hacker is trying to break into the network.
• Virtual Private Network (VPN): The functionality of the VPN devices is to protect the unwanted eavesdropping and data theft. The VPN essentially forms a secure channel through which the data can pass without being compromised. The VPN can be configured in such a way that even the mobile network flows through the UTM device to be able to detect and address any security incidents compromising the devices.
Being in the nascent stage, the UTM menu can have inclusions or exclusions of certain security services, however, listed above are the common features provided by the Unified Threat Management Systems. Contact Techno Edge Systems at +971-50-8740112 or visit our website www.itamcsupport.ae for more information.